Mr. Leatherbarrow was appointed as consultant ophthalmic, oculoplastic and orbitofacial surgeon at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital in July 1992. His major interests are oculoplastic, orbital, and lacrimal surgery. He performs over 500 specialist oculoplastic/orbital/lacrimal operations per year (plastic surgery operations around the eyes and of the midface and upper face). He also has a busy specialist medicolegal practice producing over 150 reports per annum for solicitors. He has a busy aesthetics practice at his clinic Face & Eye in South Manchester, supported by experienced aesthetic nurse practitioners.
He graduated from Manchester Medical School in 1982. He trained in general ophthalmology at Manchester Royal Eye Hospital before undertaking subspecialty training fellowships in oculoplastic and orbital surgery at Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA. He lives in Cheshire.
He is the author of the major textbook 'OCULOPLASTIC SURGERY' (1st edition published by Martin Dunitz, 2002, the second edition published by Informa Healthcare, December 2010).
He was the Section Editor for oculoplastic and orbital surgery for EYE, the scientific journal of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, for over 15 years.
He was the founder Treasurer of the British Oculoplastic Surgery Society (BOPSS) (www.BOPSS.co.uk) 2001-2006. He is currently the President of BOPSS.
He is also a member of:
- The European Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeons (ESOPRS)
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
He is an inter-specialty member of BAAPS, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (www.BAAPS.org.uk ).
He has run an internationally renowned subspecialty training fellowship in oculoplastic, orbital and lacrimal surgery for over 20 years, training surgeons from around the world.
He has over 95 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and has contributed 6 book chapters. He has presented scientific papers, given lectures and run courses in many countries including the United States, Canada, Sweden, Germany, France, Italy, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
His areas of expertise are:
- Cosmetic Eyelid/Brow Surgery - Blepharoplasty (eyebag and excess skin removal), Eyebrow Lifts including Endoscopic Brow Lifts, Mid-Face Lifts, Structural Fat Grafting (Coleman Fat Injections), Fat Pearl Grafting
- Tear Trough Rejuvenation
- Ptosis Surgery (surgery for droopy upper eyelids)
- Entropion/Ectropion surgery
- Eyelid/Periocular Tumour Surgery
- Facial Skin Lumps
- Eyelid & Orbital Reconstruction following Trauma
- Thyroid Eye Disease
- Orbital Decompression Surgery
- Orbital Tumours
- Socket Reconstructive surgery including Hydroxyapatite (coral) Implants
- Eyelid and Eyebrow Surgery following Facial Palsy
- Watering Eye Surgery including endoscopic DCR/Lester Jones tubes
- Reconstruction of Mohs Micrographic Surgery defects
- Botulinum Toxin Injections
- Dermal Filler Injections
Mr Leatherbarrow's practice is also supported at his clinic by Mrs Rebecca Rietdyke (Becky), specialist optometrist, with the optometry practice "Eye2C Optometry". Click here to find out more about the practice.